The next step in building the terrain was connecting the terrain together. For this I decided to use Gorilla Glue. Other adhesives didn’t seem to like the porous surface of the foam-core or just weren’t strong enough. This may not be the best type to use for projects that require a good deal of accuracy as Gorilla Glue is a foaming adhesive. As it cures, it foams, creating a very strong bond. Unfortunately the foaming can leave a permanent separation between the objects. Accuracy for this part of the project wasn’t necessary and it worked out fine for what I needed. If I did it again, though, I’d find a better adhesive.
Now that I had connected hills I needed to shave them down into the shape I desired. The foam cutter which I used to cut the layers out worked great! I started by cutting down the edges matching them to each connecting layer as close as I could. The foam-cutter could only carry the process so far as it can create striated edges when melting the plastic. At this point I switched to sandpaper to remove those artifacts and even out the planes of the surface. Accuracy again wasn’t important at this stage as the final shape of the ground would be plastered in.
The final step for connecting the terrain together was creating a shell to fill the space between the layers. Using PlasterWrap, which is basically a string mesh with a coating of plaster, I did the final shape layout for the terrain. This added some surface area for the final plaster to grab onto, created a hard structure connecting the terrain together, and allowed me to to create gentle transition between all the pieces.